How to Survive Long-Distance Relationship?
1. Love the person
- Sometimes, that’s all you need. But other times…
2. Video call
- Video calling sounds easy but it actually requires PLANNING: At the start both of you may wish to call whenever there is free time, when someone claims that he or she is free, the other will try to accommodate by pushing aside all urgent work just to call. In the long run, both of either one will end up piling work and eventually be frustrated.
- Be honest with each other about workload: share google calendar and update each other about activities and events. You may even want to block off some hours for yourself!
- Video calling apps: FaceTime is extremely clear but it drains battery quickly. / WhatsApp is decent but I hate the sound whenever the call disconnects, it’s so loud for no reason at all, we both can see that the call disconnected…/ Facebook may be blur but that the only issue! It has a function to take a screenshot just like FaceTime and whenever call disconnects, the sound is extremely soft. Highly recommended. / Skype would be good if both are doing work on computers.
3. Watch movies together
- Netflix party: Download the google extension and enjoy movies or dramas together over the ocean(s)! However, do note that some movies may not be accessible in some countries, do check with each other beforehand!
4. Write letters
- Letters can be on a regular basis like once a month or it can be a SURPRISE!
- SURPRISE #1: Put photos, can be taken recently or old photos.
- SURPRISE #2: Spray your perfume on the letter/postcard for your partner to smell “you”.
- SURPRISE #3: Send a parcel of essentials! Even a packet of tissue may cheer lover apart, trust me.
- SURPRISE #4: Order a gift box. My partner curated an Okimochi box for me and timed the delivery to be on our monthsary. The surprise is that none of us know what’s inside the box!
5. Send lovey text messages
- Short pickup lines could be sent frequently
- Long heartfelt messages could be sent occasionally
- If you’ll be at work or in school, you could schedule your messages via Telegram to give your partner midday surprises!
6. Send photos
- Surprise each other with photos once in a while, especially when video call can’t happen.
- You can even send a photo you took a while back but your partner didn’t know. If it’s a beautiful photo, your partner will love it; if it’s a horrible photo, it’s a conversation tinder!
7. Fly over to meet each other
- I sent an email confirmation of my flight to surprise her once 🙂
8. Sync each other’s calendar into smartphone
- Knowing about upcoming events of each other improves communication. Would advise this to even couple who don’t suffer from the torture of long distance relationship.
- With this calendar, you can even book video calling sessions!
9. Surprise gift(s)!
- During one of our monthsaries, my girlfriend ordered an Okimochibox which was sent at a stipulated time requested. It was a mysterious box filled with gifts which even my girlfriend didn’t have a clue. She simply wrote down things I like and things she hope I could receive etc. Some gifts were unexpectedly customised for me!
- I also ordered a gift box for her. It was flown from USA to Australia and the theme of the box was “Life’s a wave”. Items were customised based on the theme and because my girlfriend studied marine science, I chose a theme close to the ocean and she love all the items in it! Phew!
10. Plan for a trip.
- No matter if it’s a year end trip or just a short trip to see each other, planning a future trip motivates both of us to work hard and sustain our lives till we see each other again. It could be google spreadsheet, Dropbox or any app which allows collaboration.
11. Play online game(s) together.
- If you’re looking for a short game, would strongly recommend 8pool. This game doesn’t lag and if you’re not a pool person, you’ll learn how to play and be familiarised with the rules.
- Another game that could build relationship is the SIMS. Making characters that look similar to each other, getting married and having a family in the virtual game may let both of you have a feel of the future life.
The list can go on and on with love. What about packing your luggage and move to the country he/she is in? May your love last forever.
P.S. I love you